What can you do in fifteen minutes to improve your child’s educational experience? Here are some ideas:
– Read with your child and talk about the book.
– Ask about homework, and check it over when it’s done.
– Turn off the TV and have a conversation with your child about the school day.
– Write a thank you note to a teacher.
– Pack a healthy snack and a healthy lunch.
– Make an appointment to have your child’s eyes checked.
– Check the classroom website for grades and missed assignments.
– Write down school events on the family calendar.
– Stop by the local library and get your child a library card. Browse!
– Read the information your child brought home about Scouts, Honor Chorus, or any other opportunity to expand his horizons. Find out if he is interested.
– Prepare for a parent/teacher conference by writing down your child’s strengths and challenges. What motivates her? What consequences work best? What does she love?
– Check the school website for volunteer opportunities, pick one, and make a commitment to follow through.
– Ask your child if he needs any school supplies or homework supplies. Put them on the shopping list. Plan to buy some extra supplies to give to the teacher.
– Check the school system website for information that affects your children — the discipline policy, homework policy, athletic eligibility, etc.
– Help your child brainstorm ideas for an appropriate science project, and make a list of supplies.
– Check your child’s backpack for forgotten notes and assignments.
– Find a day you could eat lunch with your child at school. Schedule it.
I challenge every one of you to pick one thing — just one — to get started. Your goal? To become a strong, positive member of your child’s school community and a strong partner in your child’s education. Your child is worth it!
For more ideas on how to effectively navigate the public school system, go to www.nomoreparentsleftbehind.com or check out the No More Parents Left Behind Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-Parents-Left-Behind/141333445932691