I have had great success decluttering our home. For some reason I keep procrastinating about cleaning out my car. I still can’t seem to gain control over that mess. Clutter is always falling out. Please give me some motivation to get my car clean and keep it that way.
Ashamed of my Vehicle!
You don’t have to feel ashamed another day. We have a basic weekly plan to help you establish a day to clean out your car. Here is an essay I wrote to help us tackle this final frontier.
Your perfectionism is why you don’t clean out your car. You don’t think you have time to do it right. Don’t procrastinate another day!
The Final Frontier UFOs are Un-tethered Flying Objects in your car! Yes you know the ones I am talking about! Our cars are usually the last frontier when it comes to getting organized. When I was a small child I was hurt by bottle in our car. I still have the scar to show for it. Think of it this way when you are riding in a car going 55 mph if you have to stop abruptly everything in the car becomes a missile. Think about being hit by a baseball or a bottle that was thrown at that speed.
Here is the worst thing about UFOs in your car! You are embarrassed for anyone to ride with you. I know because I am just like you! My car has been clear of clutter on the inside for almost two years. There is no telling how many accidents have occurred because a bottle rolled out from under the seat. Then it got under our foot or brake and we reached down to get it.So how do we stop from cluttering up our cars?
We have to establish simple habits that will keep the clutter eliminated.
1. Don’t eat in your car. If you do, then bag up the trash as soon as everyone is finished. The bag the fast food came in is a great bag to hold the trash. When you get out of the car, find a trash can.
2. Every time you get home empty the car of things you put in it before you left. Not only will this keep your family safe from UFOs but it will deter thieves. When there is nothing in the car there is no temptation to break a window. My purse was stolen from my car once when I went into a funeral home to pay my respects.
3. While you are filling your car up with gas; play a game with the children to pick up the trash in your car. Then throw it away. They can hand it to you through the car window after you have filled up.
4. Keep things in your trunk, confined in zippered bags or under a cargo net in your van or SUV.
5. Establish a day for blessing your car. Fill it up, Clean it out and Shine it up! We do it on Fridays.
We have some simple tools for this; The Car Duster and Rubba Scrubba. Rubba Scubba sweeps the floor and seats, Duster does the dash and console. Our purple rags get the windows sparkling. That is if you put them in your hand and use them.
Don’t put your family’s safety in jeopardy because you don’t think you have time. Think of it as Swish and Swipe for your car. Daily maintenance takes less time than a whole day clean up to get ready to go somewhere with strangers in your car. Be sure and keep UFOs contained in the trunk or glove box.
It’s Friday time to Clean Out Your Car Day!