Do It Now Can Save Your Home

Dear FlyLady,

I love your website and daily emails…they really help to keep our house organized and our sink shiny!

I just wanted to pass on a bit of information that was given to me. A friend had an appliance repairman in for her dryer. He told her that most dryer fires are started because of the build up of film in the lint trap from using static control sheets. When you take a sheet out of the box to throw in the dryer, you’ll feel a waxy film and this film collects on the lint trap. Every six months or so, you should wash the lint trap with hot, soapy water and scrub with an old toothbrush.

The way you can tell if it needs cleaning is to pull out the trap and run it under water. The water should run through easily and if it doesn’t that means the waxy film has built up and is clogging it. I cleaned mine this morning and, sure enough, that’s what I found. I thought because I always cleaned out the lint before putting our clothes into the dryer that I was keeping us safe…surprise!

It only takes five minutes to get the lint filter clean. Who knew that such a small thing could prevent a major catastrophe in our home!

Hoping you can pass this along to FlyBabies everywhere~
Your flying friend in Langley!

FlyLady here: Our FlyGuys have answered your questions about how to keep your home safe. This is why they found a Dryer Vent Cleaner Kit for you.

Our Rubba Scrubbas have been used for scrubbing the lint screen too.

This entry was posted in testimonials. Bookmark the permalink.

FlyLady.net: Helping women around the world get their home organized. Copyright 2001 - 2018 FlyLady and Company, Inc.