My husband and I both work from home (through separate companies), and for a long time I figured it didn’t matter if I got dressed or not. We have no children (just two furry kitties) and none of my work is face to face.
It suited me just fine to work all day in my jammies, even if the UPS guy saw me with my hair a mess and not wearing a bra… even if I ran late for my dentist appointment because I forgot about it and wasn’t dressed… even if I didn’t get breakfast until almost noon because the kitchen was a mess >from the night before…
Okay, so it doesn’t really suit me just fine to slack off and not get myself ready for work (even though work is 20 feet down the hall). So this month, I’ve decided to get my Before Bed Routine in gear so I can be dressed and ready to work.
1. I take a shower so I’m all nice and clean before bed. Saves having to take one in the morning.
2. I lay out my clothes for the next day – usually jeans and a t-shirt (and a bra) along with socks and my sneakers.
3. I make sure the kitchen is in order (shiny sink, dishwasher either running or empty) so I can get my vitamins, coffee and breakfast *before * noon.
4. I check my calendar so I don’t miss the occasional dentist or veterinary appointment the next morning.
5. I make sure my alarm is set for the correct time so I don’t oversleep.
Aside from the shower, it takes me all of 5 minutes to do the rest, and it makes a big difference in my morning and in my day. In fact, a friend asked me to meet her at lunch yesterday (last minute) and I didn’t even hesitate. I was clean, dressed, fed and had my shoes on. I just grabbed my purse and headed out the door.
Thanks so much for all the BabySteps that have helped me get my house and my life in order. I still have a lot to do, but I know that 15 minutes at a time will get it all done.
Kelly in PA
Rebecca here: This month we are focusing on the before bed routine.
Part of this routine is gathering up everything you need for the following day and putting it in one place. This place is your launch pad. You will be able to grab and go!
Where is your place? Do you have a bag? A water bottle or your office in a bag?
Please share your own tips or stories on the benefits and blessings of the Before Bed Routine.