Our homes are being attacked on all fronts by outside forces. Let’s look at our lives for a quick moment. The CHAOS that we have allowed to take over has a life of its own. It all starts with us. I know you don’t want to look at this, but knowledge is power! It all goes back to the eternal question: which came first, the chicken or the egg? I am just going to run with this and see how far back we can go! You have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off for years. Some of you may be just starting out and feel the lack of control starting to sweep over you! We have to nip this in the bud right this minute.
- Clutter is running rampant in your home; where did it come from?
- Your credit cards are maxed out, what have you got to show for it: clutter in your home?
- You are afraid to answer the phone because of bill collectors, so you screen all your calls.
- You hide the unopened bills from your partner out of fear!
- When you look back on what you have spent, for the life of you, it is hard to know why you spent these virtual funds. Could it be your perfectionism or martyrdom?
- Can you hear yourself saying, “You deserve to have nice things. I work as hard as the next person.”? So guess what: you buy the best regardless of the price and your ability to pay.
- Do you feel in control when you spend? Does it give you power that you don’t have when you are at home looking at a pile of dirty laundry or a sink full of dishes?
- Are you trying to look good in other people’s eyes by buying gifts and mementos of your affection?
- Were you deprived as a child and now you are filling up that empty hole with the stuff you never had? Or, were you spoiled as a child by getting your way all the time? Are you feeling sorry for your self because you are home alone stuck with the kids? Did you not get enough attention growing up?
- Are you feeling left out because you are no longer the center of attention in your family? Are the children the priority in your spouse’s eyes or your parents’ eyes?So in order to fill that empty hole, are you spending to your hole’s desire?
- As a result of the lack of control, other parts of your life are being hurt. We have to bend over backwards to always set up things the way we want it. We can’t let go. It is our way or the highway. Perfectionism once again takes over, and fear steps in to help. Our relationships suffer: husband, wife, mother, father, sister, brother, children — and let’s not forget our in-laws.
- Our clutter alienates us from our family. What happens when they decide to visit? You spend days getting rid of the evidence of your spending (your clutter and your CHAOS), and sometimes you even pick a fight to keep them from coming back again. If that happens, your dirty little secret is safe! You don’t have deal with them coming over often, do you?
My heart is breaking for what clutter, CHAOS, overspending, perfectionism, and martyrdom is doing to you as a person. Your peace is being pulled in all of these directions, so we have to start somewhere. At this point, it doesn’t matter if you were a spoiled brat or a deprived child! What doesn’t matter just doesn’t matter! Now that we know we can do better, we can stop these home-wreckers in their tracks. That empty hole can only be filled by you and by you alone. All I can do is run my mouth and try to get the message across in our e-mails. I want you to FLY, Finally Love Yourself, but you are going to have to FACE (Financial Awareness Continually Empowers) your spending habits and other negative habits in order stop some these culprits once and for all!
Are you ready to FLY?
P.S. If you haven’t shined your sink yet, then go do it now! If you have, then go polish it again just so you can feel you heart smile! This is just the beginning.