“You are never behind. Jump in where you are.” – FlyLady
FlyLady has divided the home up into 5 different zones. Don’t worry if you think you have more than 5 zones in your own home (we all do!) follow FlyLady’s Zones. Her zones will hit on all the major living areas of your home. Each week, we work in a different zone. Each month, we repeat all the zones. In a few months, you will notice that the main parts of your home will look great. Then you will be ready to tackle some of the “other” areas of your home! Want to learn more about zones? Read the FLYing Lesson about Zones!
These are the zones for September; mark your calendars! The bolded zone is the one we are in this week.
- Zone 1: Entrance, Front Porch & Dining Room (October 01 – 04)
- Zone 2: The Kitchen (October 05 – 11)
- Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room (October 12 – 18)
- Zone 4: The Master Bedroom (October 19 – 25)
- Zone 5: The Living Room (October 26 – 31)
How to Begin
When you first start decluttering, cleaning, and organizing your zones, you are encouraged to spend 15 minutes per day decluttering in the current zone. That’s it — BabySteps! Set your timer for 15 minutes and clear out those things that you don’t use or love. Flybabies, don’t forget to keep working on your Morning and Before Bed Routines — do them everyday! (See the FLYing Lessons for more information about this.) Once you have a good start on your routines, it is much easier to do the zone work.
Before you start, review the rules of zone cleaning:
- Be fully dressed to shoes before you start.
- Your daily cleaning chores should be finished and preferably weekly vacuuming done.
- The room has to be fairly straight.
- Do not pull out more than you can put back in one hour.
- Clean one drawer or one pile at a time.
- If you do not know how to declutter, read the FLYing Lesson on How to Declutter.
- Be consistent. Do a little every day. Don’t try to accomplish this in one day; you will burn out and will hate this system. BabySteps!
- Set your timer and work for 15 minutes. That’s all. It did not get junked up in one day, and it won’t get clean in one day, either. It will take patience and BabySteps. You can do this.
After you have started decluttering in a zone, you may be ready take a look at our Daily Missions. These are fun! We will send you on a mission in the current zone. You never know where you will end up (or what you will find) when you do one of these Missions!
Once you have decluttered the zone (this may take a few months to actually complete —there is no rush here!), then you are ready for FlyLady’s detailed cleaning list. You will be amazed at how easy it is to do detailed cleaning when the clutter is gone! What is more amazing is how easy it is to keep it clean when your routines are in place. As FlyLady says, “The house practically cleans itself!”
We also have printable detailed cleaning lists (in PDF format) for each zone.
Welcome to Zone 5- The Living Room. We are in the last week of October and Halloween is almost here! What does this have to do with our Fly Spot Alert you may be asking. Well, a lot actually! Trick or Treaters in their adorable costumes will soon be knocking on our doors. Friends, family, and neighbors will be stopping by to visit and let you meet their little ghouls and goblins (and princesses and Ninja Turtles of course!). Will you be able to invite them inside? If so, which room will you be hanging out in? More than likely the Living Room. Spend 15 minutes and put out whatever your biggest hot spot is in your Living Room. Just clearing out this one hot spot will make such a difference in the feel of the room! Don’t have a hot spot to clear out? Grab some fresh flowers and toss them in a vase or find a favorite candle and put it on your coffee table. You’ll be ready for whatever characters show up on your door step this Friday.