“You are never behind. Jump in where you are.” – FlyLady
FlyLady has divided the home up into 5 different zones. Don’t worry if you think you have more than 5 zones in your own home (we all do!) follow FlyLady’s Zones. Her zones will hit on all the major living areas of your home. Each week, we work in a different zone. Each month, we repeat all the zones. In a few months, you will notice that the main parts of your home will look great. Then you will be ready to tackle some of the “other” areas of your home! Want to learn more about zones? Read the FLYing Lesson about Zones!
These are the zones for August; mark your calendars! The bolded zone is the one we are in this week.
- Zone 1: Entrance, Front Porch & Dining Room (August 01-08)
- Zone 2: The Kitchen (August 09 – 15)
- Zone 3: The Bathroom and One Extra Room (August 16 – 22)
- Zone 4: The Master Bedroom (August 23 – 29)
- Zone 5: The Living Room (August 30-31)
How to Begin
When you first start decluttering, cleaning, and organizing your zones, you are encouraged to spend 15 minutes per day decluttering in the current zone. That’s it — BabySteps! Set your timer for 15 minutes and clear out those things that you don’t use or love. Flybabies, don’t forget to keep working on your Morning and Before Bed Routines — do them everyday! (See the FLYing Lessons for more information about this.) Once you have a good start on your routines, it is much easier to do the zone work.
Before you start, review the rules of zone cleaning:
- Be fully dressed to shoes before you start.
- Your daily cleaning chores should be finished and preferably weekly vacuuming done.
- The room has to be fairly straight.
- Do not pull out more than you can put back in one hour.
- Clean one drawer or one pile at a time.
- If you do not know how to declutter, read the FLYing Lesson on How to Declutter.
- Be consistent. Do a little every day. Don’t try to accomplish this in one day; you will burn out and will hate this system. BabySteps!
- Set your timer and work for 15 minutes. That’s all. It did not get junked up in one day, and it won’t get clean in one day, either. It will take patience and BabySteps. You can do this.
After you have started decluttering in a zone, you may be ready take a look at our Daily Missions. These are fun! We will send you on a mission in the current zone. You never know where you will end up (or what you will find) when you do one of these Missions!
Once you have decluttered the zone (this may take a few months to actually complete —there is no rush here!), then you are ready for FlyLady’s detailed cleaning list. You will be amazed at how easy it is to do detailed cleaning when the clutter is gone! What is more amazing is how easy it is to keep it clean when your routines are in place. As FlyLady says, “The house practically cleans itself!”
We also have printable detailed cleaning lists (in PDF format) for each zone.
Welcome to Zone 4, The Master Bedroom. With fall getting closer to creeping in and winter just around the corner, colder temperatures will be here before we know it! Are you prepared for the cooler weather? It’s time to find out! Today’s Fly Spot is to do a check for cold weather items. Do you have scarfs, jackets, gloves, etc? Are there things you needed last year and never got around to buying? Or do you have so many of these items that they have actually began to get in your way and are clutter? If they are, now is the time to donate them to your favorite charity. Homeless shelters, Goodwill, the Salvation Army, and churches are always in need of these items and would be more than thrilled to give them to someone that really needs them this winter. Not only will you be getting rid of clutter and blessing yourself, you’ll also be blessing someone else that may not have anything to stay warm with in the coming months. Set your timer for 10 minutes and go! You’ll be so glad this is done when the cold settles in for the winter!